Beautiful signature of Gantry Plaza State Park in the Long Island City neighborhood of Queens in New York City is a Pepsi-Cola Sign.
Why is still here?
It was originally build by PepsiCo in 1940. Long Island City was developed as a commercial and industrial center in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and Pepsi-Cola was one of the firms that developed factories within Long Island City.
The original sign was nearly destroyed in the December 1992 nor’easter, and by the end of 1993, the entire sign had been removed. Finally, after some confusions 2008 sign was back on original place. In late 2015, the LPC hosted a public hearing on whether to designate the Pepsi-Cola sign as a city landmark which was 2016 designated.