On Saturday, September 28, hundreds of museums and cultural institutions across the country will be offering free admission, including more than 30 spots right here in New York City as part of Smithsonian Magazine’s annual Museum Day.
Do not miss out on this great opportunity! As New Yorkers who pay to visit most of our city’s museums you know this is a great offer. Museum Day is the perfect time to check out a new-to-you museum or visit an old standby for at no cost. Most museums offer places to play for infants, toddlers and kids while you sit back and relax in a controlled and secure environment.
In addition to a handful of big institutions, there are lots of cool, off-the-beaten-path places participating in all five boroughs.
Some Museums will accept the ticket from your smart phone!
Know Before You Go
I got my ticket get yours now!
List of participating New York City museums offering free admission
Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine
Children’s Museum of Manhattan
Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden
Museum of American Illustration at the Society of Illustrators
Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of the American Indian
The Cathedral of St. John the Divine
The Hispanic Society of America, Museum and Library
- One ticket for two people only
- One ticket per valid email address
- One ticket will gain entry in only the museum listed on this page
- Ticket must be presented for free general admission to one venue and is good for two people. ^Not valid for special exhibits, parking, IMAX film screenings or for use with any other offers.
- Only an offical Museum Day Live! ticket is eligible for free entry.
- If museum reaches capacity, museum has right to limit guest until space becomes available